International checklist

Welcome to Union College in Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

International students comprise nearly nine percent of our campus family. Students from around the world have found a safe, welcoming home at Union College. We hope you will too.

Most information on this website related to tuition, scholarships and the acceptance process is the same regardless of your citizenship. This online checklist is to help international students confidently complete steps from application to the first day of classes.

Or download the PDF here.


1. Get accepted to Union College

Fill out the application (online)

Send academic records—Submit an official secondary school transcript, secondary school completion certificate, national exam certificate or college or university transcript—whichever applies. If the documents are not in English, obtain a certified translation. All transcripts from international universities must be sent to or for credit evaluation. 

Submit English proficiency test scores (students whose first language is not English must score one of the following minimums):

  • 5.5 on the International English Language Test System (IELTS) 
  • 60 on the TOEFL iBT (computer based)
  • 550 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

(Send to


2: Get an I-20 student visa

Note: Send these documents to

Submit affidavit of support form (download the pdf)—Complete the affidavit of support to demonstrate your ability to cover costs of tuition, room, board, books and fees for your course of study. 

Submit bank statements—submit a copy of your parents' or sponsors' bank statement to show proof of sufficient income to support you during your course of study. 

Submit a copy of your passport photo page to ensure that we issue the I-20 with the correct information.

Pay international confirmation deposit—Union College requires a $5,000 deposit before issuing an I-20, of which $4,000 will be immediately applied to your student account. The remaining $1,000 is held as a deposit and applied to your student account upon completion of your program or withdrawal. The entire deposit will be refunded if you do not enroll. Funds may be paid online at (select "international confirmation deposit") or wired to Union College (you will receive instructions after you have applied and been accepted).

After you have been accepted ...


3. Get a student visa

When you receive your I-20, make an appointment with the U.S. Embassy in your home country to apply for a student visa. You must pay the SEVIS fee before making the appointment (


4. Set up your financial plan

Fill out the Financial Questionnaire. You'll need to log into to Union's student portal using your UC-ID. Click the piggy bank icon and then select Financial Aid Questionnaire from the menu.

Talk to a financial aid advisor. They will clear up any details, answer questions and finalize your financial plan.

Finish your financial steps under the "To Do" tab on "My Financial Aid" on your Portal account (instructions emailed to you after acceptance).

5. Make your first payment

You can pay your first month's payment at Your International confirmation deposit will be automatically applied to your first month's payment.


5. Submit other required forms

Start with the Residence Hall Housing form to reserve your room and help the deans select the best roommate for you. Click here to submit.

Your registration checklist in Union's student portal will walk you through more of what you need. 


6. Fill out health forms and submit immunization records

You will need to complete a series of health forms through the uHealth portal before you can begin classes. If you are under the age of 19, additional forms will be required to be signed by a legal guardian, such as a parent. Access to the uHealth portal requires the same log in information as uGroups, Portal and other Union College systems. For some documents requiring signatures, you will need to upload a scan or high-resolution photo of the document through uHealth

After logging in to uHealth, you will be required to submit: 

  • Personal Health History Form (may be completed online by the student or guardian) 
  • Required immunization records (these may be obtained from your physician and then scanned and uploaded in the uHealth portal). You need proof of the following: 
    • MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) two vaccines after the first birthday or an antibody lab titer proving immunity.
    • Meningococcal vaccines (PDF) (1 shot at 16 years or older) or a waiver form signed if living in the residence hall (must be signed by parent if student is under 19 years old).
    • Upload your completed Tuberculosis Screen Questionnaire (available through uHealthand submit the results of a quantiferon test.
      • Students can receive the test in the Campus Health office if one cannot be obtained prior to arrival. If skin test is positive, you will need to get an IGRA lab test completed called a Quantiferon or T-SPOT.
      • If the lab result is positive, a chest x-ray is necessary to check for tuberculosis. One visit to an infectious disease specialist may be required.
  • Students younger than 19: Medical Treatment Authorization to Minors. This needs to be printed, signed by a parent or legal guardian and then upload a scan or image of it to the uHealth portal.
  • Consider the additional recommended vaccines*:
    • Tetanus (Tdap) to be within the past 10 years
    • Polio series (3-4 shots)
    • Varicella (chickenpox) vaccines (2 shots) or Varicella lab titer proving immunity.
    • Hepatitis B series (3 shots) or lab titer proving immunity. 
      *If you are participating in the physician assistantnursing or international rescue and relief program, or you will be traveling internationally on a Union-sponsored mission trip, you will be required to have these four vaccines.

Please allow some time to process all incoming health data. If you have questions, please contact the Campus Health office at

Making the trip to Lincoln.

2021 Spring traveling information

Making new friends, meeting teachers and joining a new community.

  • New student move in and registration August 19, 2021
  • uConnect (orientation for new students) August 20, 2021
  • Airport pick up—You can get free Lincoln or Omaha airport transportation for new students and their parents. Email your itinerary and contact information at least seven days before arrival to ensure pick up from the airport.  
  • Bedding Packet—Why pack more than you need? For $75 charged to your student account, you can have an international packet waiting for you at Union. The packet includes a mattress cover, comforter, pillow, sheets, bath towel, hand towel, cloth/loofah, hangers (set of 20), laundry detergent, dryer sheets, a role of quarters for laundry, soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, shampoo, and conditioner. If you would like an international packet, email by August 1.